Friday, June 23, 2006

Episode 7 Show Notes

Take me out to Citizens Bank Park. Go Phillies! (You suck!) Also, when in town and needing crab fries, head on over to Chickie and Pete's. Don't forget the cheese!

Check out the heel-less socks and Rowan Soft Tweed at
Rowan Yarns. The yarn is not CURRENTLY listed on their list? Could dryer lint be going the way of the dodo? You can check out the patterns though in Rowan Classic Winter.

I had a photo of Gus modeling a scarf I made in Dryer Lint, but I can't find it anywhere in my photo files. Oh well...

Check out the cabled socks Wendy made for her Daddio in Sarah Dallas Knitting. I linked it through the ELANN site, which is a fabulous place to score cheap yarn and great patterns. Consider this a double bonus!

Wendy is currently undertaking the Pomatomus Socks from Knitty.com.

In honor of Dear old Dad (also known as "Little Petey") these are the tiger socks and the Manos vest

You can find the pattern for the Manos Vest, "Petrol," designed by our friend Carol at Rosie's Yarn Cellar, at Knitty.com as well.

Since I knitted at the ballpark, I stumbled upon the following link
TKGA Stitch and Pitch. So if you live in one of these major league towns, go out, route for your team and knit. Or as I say, "drinkin beer, watching baseball and knitting..."

Toe Up Sock Class
For a brief tutorial on the middle eastern cast on, check out this great article on
Knitting History which includes the middle eastern cast on. This is also from Knitty.com

Or, check out Ethnic Socks and Stockings by Priscilla Gibson Roberts

Yarn Sluts: The sluts go shopping...Main Line Yarn Shop Tour

Here are the shops we visited

The Technicolor Sheep, Havertown, Pa

Ewe and I, Bryn Mawr, Pa

Noble Knits, Malvern, Pa

We also visited Frou Frou, in Berwyn, PA. They do not have a website I can locate. We TRIED to visit Busy Body's, in Haverford, but as we said on the Podcast, they are only open M-F from 10-430 and some of us work. They also DO NOT have a website.

Some of the yarns we talked about


Fiesta Yarns
Find OPAL yarns at Simply Sock Yarn.com. I love this online shop! I highly recommend it!
Cherry Tree Hill SuperSock; You can also find a photo of the Elfin Lace Shawl on Cherry Tree Hill's website, just look under "patterns" tab!
Lorna's Laces
Colinette Yarns
Manos Del Uraguay, Rosie's Yarn Cellar carries the COMPLETE color palatte of this AWESOME yarn

HOW ABOUT MY NEW KNITTING BAG /PICNIC BASKET
Provence from Lantern Moon.

And if you ever need a yummy snack while driving along Lancaster Avenue, Wendy and I highly recommend Peace a Pizza and Hope's Cookies.

I think you devoted listeners have your fill of fun things to look at from the Podcast; until the next episode "Knitty D goes on a yarn diet..."

9 Comments:

Blogger webhill said...

Hey. I'm not done listening yet, but I see that you went to Ewe and I. My son goes to school right by there so on occasion I pop in to pick something up. Not my favorite yarn shop, I have to say. The last time I was in there (picking up a needle to knit Grumperina's Picovoli with!), someone else came in and asked the saleslady if they sold blocking boards. "No," was the answer, "because we recommend against blocking anything." I could not help myself. I butted in and asked "REALLY??" "Yes, really." she said. "What about lace?" I asked. "Oh. Well. I wouldn't know about lace. But for any, you know, regular knitting, you should not block it."

I left. I just didn't know what to say!

Also, they have given me incorrect answers to questions before, and tried to sell me the TOTALLY wrong yarn for a project twice. Like, they wanted me to get a very scratchy, somewhat heavier than normal wool, for a SUMMER BABY BLANKET.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Ewe and I but I have to wait because I can't listen to your podcast with Blues Clues in the background.

Oh, and I'm not a Main Line Mom. My regular local yarn store is the Tangled Web. I live in Lafayette Hill. :)

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to let you guys know how much I am enjoying your podcast. I look forward to it every week or so. Love the conversation and all the Koigu!
Keep up the great work!
Beth in RI

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on the Main Line and have been to all the shops mentioned. Busy Body's is open on Saturdays but NOT in the summer (this is Philly and no one seems to work on weekends). Froufrou has, in my opinion, one of the knitting geniuses in the area - Sandy Beadle. She's a fabulous knitter and can adapt anything to any size. I am, as I like to say, an ample woman, and she adapts all of my patterns so I can get my sizable self into the sweater, and she does a great job. She's also great at giving instructions. I like the shop very much because it is bright, airy, friendly with places to sit and knit, and they carry some beautiful yarns.
Busy Body use to be better - when Sandy worked there - but currently, with the exception of Jane, the owner, no one can give instructions and that's something they pride themselves on.
I agree that the Lower Merion area lacks really great knitting shops and that most of the yarns are pretty pedestrian, but I've made some pretty good stuff - that wonderful white swing coat that was designed to look like a mink coat, in last summer's vogue, and the ladies of Busy Body (before I discovered Frou Frou) (and Sandy was still there) helped me made a beautiful garment for my daughter.
I did come in to Rosies a few weeks ago and they do have nice yarns but I wasn't overly impressed by the way the people in there seemed to look down their noses at this suburbanite.
I love your podcasts and agree with most of what you say but I think you were a tad harsh on the knitting shops along the Main Line.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your podcast, it is so full of fun and energy, and I love listening to you both chatting to each other, I'm a little jealous that I don't have a knitting friend like you have each other! You just seem to have a ball...... and you're so passionate about knitting, I just don't know anyone like that, and I wish I did, because I have been knitting since Christmas 2005, and I am completely obsessed.
I also like the way you are so honest about things, it's very refreshing. I am English, and live in the north east of the uk, and everyone is always so worried about what they say.
Anyway, I love everything about your podcast. Maggie is adorable, and even if she didn't eat anything, I'd love to hear more about her.
Thankyou for all the time and effort you put in to your podcast, it's fabulous.

2:05 AM  
Blogger AmyDe said...

Where are you girls? I miss you. Hope everything and everyone is ok! Is Molly feeling better? Hope to hear from you soon. I need my "Girlfriend's knitting fix!"

Take care and have a wonderful 4th!!!

6:25 PM  
Blogger A said...

Two comments..I have been meaning to comment and let you guys know how much I enjoy your podcast. It is laugh out loud funny.

Second...I am going to be visiting Philly in a few weeks, and would love any suggestions for nice places to stay. Also, if I only could visit one store, should I hit up Rosie's Yarn Cellar or Loop?? Thanks

2:45 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

As a Philly suburb knitter, I agree that the yarn shops on the Mainline are average, at best. Yarnings in Skippack is much better, Garden of Yarn in Chaddford is worth the trip if you also want to drink wine or go to the Dansko outlet (but be forewarned, there is lots of novelty yarn there) but truly, the offerings downtown are truly spectacular.

I am one of those suburbanites who hates it, despite the ample parking.

I am a fan of the show, though. The Philly flava is great, and I love the banter. You sound like you are having lots of fun.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for your podcast! If you go out to Chadds Ford, save some time to visit Wool Gathering in Kennett Square-- you will find all the Rowan you could want there, plus Manos, Koigu, laceweight etc. Very pretty shop. But call first because her summer hours are a little sporadic...Enjoyed the virtual yarn tour, and I'm inspired to come into Philly to see what you all have to offer.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is Frou Frou's site:

http://froufrouyarns.com

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home