Saturday, July 22, 2006

Episode 8-Diet Schmiet Show Notes

I was up half the night last night...probably because I was stressed about writing these show notes...I've still been procrastinating this morning, choosing instead to do some cleaning, some (un)knitting and to get my snuggle on with the bagels.

ANYWAY, hope you enjoyed your virtual attendance at KNITORAMA.
Find Michelle's Blog and read more about her anal record keeping at knitster chelle

Also, as if you have never heard of Addi Turbo's before, you can read all about Skacel's line of needles and accesories at skacel's website.


Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips Recipe
2-3 kiwis- peeled and diced
3 Golden delicious apples- peeled, cored and diced
8 oz raspberries (frozen OK)
1 lb strawberries (frozen OK)
1 can crushed pineapple- drained
> 1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp apricot preserves

10 – 10 inch flour tortillas
Butter flavored cooking spray
1 cup cinnamon sugar (mix to taste)
In large bowl, mix all fruit, sugar, brown sugar and preserves (You can chop the fruit in cuisinart). Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.
For chips- heat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat 1 side of tortilla with butter spray. Coat in cinnamon sugar mixture. Spray again with butter spray. Slice into strips with pizza cutter and place each in mini muffin tin.
Bake 8- 10 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit.


And even though Wendy and I are not TECHNICALLY mom's (though we are doggie mom's), we are happy to plug the Creative Mom Podcast

YARN SLUTS (not whores, whores get paid)
Which leads me to one of my favorite jokes, "how do you make a whore moan/hormone?
Don't pay her..." Thanks I'm here all week, remember to tip you waitstaff...

When wanting to score some cheap yarn storage baskets and bins, I always head to the
Christmas Tree Shop. Usually this occurs when I'm visiting mom and pop in Cape Cod...but now, the Christmas Tree Shop has come to New Jersey...thank you yarn goddess...

So Wendy and I score Scheaffer Anne "she's my lady," in many places including

Little Knits and two ebay shops Emtnestr; where I bought my BRIGHT PINK ANNE and Yarn Design. They both over a pretty wide variety of colors that changes frequently based on what they get from the distributer...it seems like the most of any one color way they have is 2 skeins too (about 1000 yards!)

In Philly, you know we score our crack, I mean Anne at
Rosie's Yarn Cellar and Loop.

So, I got over my brain fart and remembered...okay looked up...the names of the shops I visited in Pittsburgh

Yarns Unlimited, Sewickly, PA. No website yet...if you do a google search for "Yarns Unlmited" you get a shop in Illinois...and unless I was really hallucinating, I know I wasn't in the midwest last weekend. I also visited Knit One in Squirrel Hill. This is where I scored the Fiesta Yarns La Boehme and Gelato in the Madrid Color Way---it's yummy---sadly blogger is not cooperating with uploading photos, so the photo gallery will likely be another post.

While visiting the Rosie's website, read the great blog entries on working with Hand Dyed yarns. Wendy scored that gorgeous Sea Silk from Handmaiden Yarns. I might be heading over to Rosie's today after brunch to "investigate."

We both needed the Claudia Handpaints. What do you guys think? Should I make the Chevron Scarf with mine from Last Minute Knitted Gifts? I'm thinking about some new scarfs for fall...it helps me battle the heat and humidity...here is Latifa from Knitty which I am going to make in ONE color of Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool and of course, Koigu. Have we mentioned our love of Koigu?

And finally for yarn sluts, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to may favorite yarn slut buddy, Wendy. I hope you enjoy your shawl pin, hand made by an artisan in Pittsburgh. She doesn't have a website, but her email is sewlindsay@yahoo.com---her shawl pins are called "Foofaraw."

GET YOUR KNIT ON

Wendy and I continue to work feverishly on lace and socks and lacey socks.
Our muses of the moment include: Socks that Rock, from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. There are THREE weights of sock yarn in each color...Wendy got the light weight, I got the medium. No matter the weight...this yarn is hot.

We also LOVE, Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace and did I mention Koigu and Anne? That is what I thought...

We didn't talk about this on the podcast, but some of the sock book patterns we've been using are Socks Socks Socks from XRX books, Knitting Vintage Socks, Sensational Knitted Socks and Knitting on the Road. All are available at your LYS or online. If you are looking for some great, FREE sock patterns, check out Sock Bug's Blog. Wendy and I will both be making some patterns from this site, and we will share the progress here and on our own blogs.

I also LOVE Simply Sock Yarn. This is a great online shop to score OPAL sock yarn. Customer service is FAB and she even sends little samples of new socks yarns...

Finally, Carol's Itsy shop, where you can find Black Bunny Fibers

That is all faithful listeners and readers...stay cool and keep knitting
Knitty D and Wendy

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It nice that you were in Pittsburgh - my home town - and Squirrel Hill particularly. One yarn shop there just closed but I understand the other one is very good. I'll have to try it on my next trip to visit mom (and 40th high school reunion, ugh!). I have a question about your friend Robin's significant other - is Ronan a lovely young many who worked at the Israeli Consulate for a while? Just curious, because I worked there and he was my restaurant source back about 8 or 9 years ago.
Glad your back. Missed the podcast, the humor and the great ideas.

9:25 AM  
Blogger profbookwurmknits said...

where do you stay in cape cod?
i heard there was a good yarn shop in dennis

5:37 PM  
Blogger profbookwurmknits said...

sorry,i should have said 'on 'the cape

5:38 PM  
Blogger bbstewart said...

I am so glad ya'll are back recording. I missed you guys! I thought it quite comical that you felt the podcast was your enabler for purchasing more yarn. I think Wendy and Knitty D are my enablers even though I have never met them. My sock stash has grown considerably. After hearing all of the talk about great sock yarns out there, I have purchased Opal and Trekking XXL to try. I recently went on my first yarn crawl and drooled over Koigu, Cherry Tree Hill, and Anne. No purchases yet, I want to improve my sock knitting. Ya'll have a great podcast, keep it up and have a great summer knitting!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back, I missed you both, and your energy.

4:36 AM  
Blogger A said...

You guys must stop talking about Anne! My desire for this yarn is becoming overwhelming, and I have yet to find this yarn at my local shops, which happen to be the two you visited in da 'Burgh.

I will be in Philly in August, so you should probably save some Anne for me at Rosie's or Loop.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your podcast - I do the Yarn Slut dance whenever you get to that segment, which is very often when I'm listening in my car and I'm sure other drivers think I'm insane... My sister lives in Philly (I'm all the way out in CA) and I think I'm gonna have to hunt you 2 crazy ladies down at Loop or Rosie's next time I head out to visit her - you're my kinda knitters!!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home