Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Testing Testing, One, Two, Three

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments, and the feedback regarding our sound issues. Right now, we're recording on 2 sources, a portable iRiver, and on our laptop with one microphone. Surprisingly enough, the iRiver episodes actually sound better than our desktop mic, and that's because when shopping for a mic, I tried to go the economic route, one mic for 2 people. There are 2 different kinds of mics - an omnidirectional, that records all of the sound in the room, and a cardioid mic, which picks up what it is aimed at. The problem with the omnidirectional is that it picks up everything in the room (you think the beagles are loud now . . .), and the cardioid - well, we are 2 people.

What we really need is a mixer, and 2 mics, and I'm working on it.

In the meantime, I promise that we will both do a better job at sitting directly in front of the mic, and I will do my best to manually turn Knitty D down (with Audacity, not a smack, or anything like that).

Thanks again, and I will work on our sound issues . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Sner said...

I am so happy to see that I wasn't going crazy when I had to rip my headphones off more than once in this past episode. I love the podcast and I love both of your enthusiasm for knitting but I think getting a better mike is a must. Keep it up ladies - your podcast is one of my favourites!

6:39 AM  
Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Hello there Ladies - I love your show! I wanted to help you with your sock knitting and the cast on debate of toe up or cuff down. I think you should interview Judy Becker http://www.persistentillusion.com/blogblog/index.php
of Magic Loop Cast On fame - she is amazing - and I teach her cast on at the sock classes I take. Check her out - she is a wealth of information!

Keep up the great podcasting - I LOVE IT!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just started listening to your podcast and I think it's great. My owner of my LYS, Karen at Wool Gathering in Kennett Square, told me you had been in to the shop. I had started listening to knitting podcasts recently but you guys are the best! I've been up to Rosies Yarn shop once, its a very nice store. Keep up the good work. Oh by the way, sometimes when you ladies get excited the volume blows out my eardrums!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your podcast! Thank you soooo much. I don't mind the sound quality -- maybe because I listen on a $20 MP3 player.

But I do have a request, because I can't read your blog. The thin white text on black is impossible for me. Maybe I'm not the target audience (I have 20 years on you women). Would you consider making the text thicker and/or bigger? (I hate to ask, because design-wise, it is great. But I'm thinking I may not be the only person whose eyes aren't falcon-like. There is a work-around. I print it to a PDF and read it, then go back to the "live" page to click on links. Sigh.)

Anyway, thanks again. Your podcast is fun and informative and inspiring. A life-long knitter, I just cast-on for my first ever lace using laceweight -- wish me luck! It's the Trellis from Interweave knits, a few issues ago.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home